Nuclear Power Plants - Illinois
Exelon Corporation, the company formed by the merger of Philadelphia Electric (PECO) and Commonwealth Electric in the 1990's owns and operates all of the nuclear power plants within the state of Illinois. This includes the following facilities:
The following former nuclear operating units are undergoing decommissioning
Courtesy US NRC
PWRs- Braidwood, Byron, and Zion
The Braidwood and Byron facilities are same generation Westinghouse PWR facilities. The generation output of each is approximately 1180 MWe. The units commenced operation between 1985 and 1988.
The Zion units operated from the early 70's through until 1998. The nuclear portion of the facility is being decommissioned. The generation part of the facility is now being used for voltage stabilization of the north part of the Exelon Illinois electrical grid. The generators have been converted to synchronous condensers.
The simplified diagrams on the PWR Cycle page illustrate the the design of each of these pressurized water reactor plants (courtesy Westinghouse)
BWRs- Clinton, Dresden, LaSalle County, and Quad Cities
Clinton was originally owned, started up, and operated by Illinois Power. Clinton is a 1017 MWe facility.
Dresden Unit 1 was the original commercial BWR rated at approximately 250 MWe. The unit operated from 1960 through 1978.
Dresden Units 2 and 3 are both model BWR-3s rated at 912 MWe each. These started up in 1970 and 1971.
LaSalle County Units 1 and 2 are both model BWR-4s rated at 1145 MWe each. These started up in 1982 and 1984.
Quad Cities Units 1 and 2 are both model BWR-3s rated at 912 MWe each. These started up in 1973.
The simplified diagrams on the Inside BWR page illustrate the the design of each of these pressurized water reactor plants (courtesy Westinghouse)
Copyright © 1996-2006. The Virtual Nuclear Tourist. All rights reserved. Revised: January 16, 2006.