Australia, & India
- The UIC provides a lot of very useful
information about the nuclear fuel cycle, fact and data sheets regarding use
of uranium as a fuel. The centre also has a number of very informative
position papers, including such topics as enrichment, ships, plutonium. A
significant contribution is the on-line text, Nuclear Electricity, which
describes many portions of the fuel cycle with numerous tables and graphs.
Australia is a major source of uranium.
- Nuclear Power
Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) is a Public Limited Company under the
administrative control of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of
India. It is responsible for the design, construction, operation and
maintenance of the nuclear powered electrical generating stations. NPCIL
operates five nuclear power stations and is building two nuclear power
- Iran - Iraq -
- Japanese utilities are:
- Chubu Electric operates the Hamaoka 1, 2, 3, and 4 Toshiba BWR units at
- Chugoku Electric
- The Shimane 1and 2 Hitachi BWR units are located at Kashima-cho, Shimane.
- Hokkaido Electric operates Tomari 1 and 2, 550 MWe units, located at Tomari-mura, Hokkaido.
- Hokuriku Electric operates one Hitachi BWR, Shika 1, rated at 513 MWe,
at Shika-machi, Ishikawa.
Japan Atomic Power
- JAPC operates reactors at Tokai Mura, Ibaraki and Tsuruga,
Fukui. Three are General Electric BWR units and one is a Mitsubishi PWR
unit. In addition, JAPC operated a UK General
Electric gas cooled reactor rated 159 MWe at Tokai. That
unit started up in Nov. 65 and is permanently shutdown. S
- Kansai Electric
- Kansai Electric operates the 3 Mihama (Mihama-cho, Fukui) units, 4 Ohi (Ohi-cho,
Fukui), and 4 Takahama (Takahama-cho, Fukui) units. The 11 units are PWRs designed by
either Westinghouse or Mitsubishi.
- Kyushu Electric operates 6 Mitsubishi PWRs; 4 at Genkai, Saga and 2 at Sendai,
Japan Nuclear Cycle
- The 246 Mwe Monju unit, designed by Mitsubishi. and located at Tsuruga,
Fukui, is Japan's first fast breeder
reactor. Monju commenced operation in Feb. 1994. The
ATR was an 148 MWe heavy water LWR made by Hitachi that started up in July
1978, but is being decommissioned .
- Skikoku Electric operates the 3 Ikata
units - two 2 loop PWRs and one 3 loop PWR.
- Tohoku Electric operates two Toshiba BWR units at Onagawa,
- Tokyo Electric operates 16 BWR units, ranging from 439 to 1315 MWe, at 3
large facilities in Ohkuma and Naraha, Fukushima and Kashiwazaki, Niigata.
- Federation of Electric Power Companies of Japan -
- KINS, the Korean
nuclear safety agency; KAERI,
Korea's Research Agency,
KEPCO, the Korean
- Peoples' Republic of China
- The China Atomic Energy Authority
responsible for nuclear safety management, nuclear material control,
radioactive wastes management and disposal.
Search engines on the
China Internet Information Center and the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
(Embassy in US) provide lists of related official news releases [Suggestion -
type nuclear power plant].
- South Africa
- ESKOM is the 5th largest utility
in the world. They operate the 2 Koeburg
reactors, each with a capacity of ~900 MWe.
Copyright © 1996-2006. The Virtual Nuclear Tourist.
All rights reserved. Revised: January 22, 2006.